A strong voice for technical, professional, and EMS workers
Stay InformedThe MGEU is Manitoba’s largest, most diverse union. We're experienced enough to build your case... strong enough to get your message out... and responsive enough to meet the distinct needs of your workplace and profession.
We're your neighbours. We’re your colleagues. And whenever you need us, we’re your allies.
Here are five ways the MGEU works for you.
1. For health professionals, the MGEU offers the best of both worlds.
You get the bargaining power and resources that come with our size. And you get the specialized expertise and experience that comes from representing more Manitoba health workers than any other union.
- With more than 40,000 members, we’re Manitoba’s largest, strongest union. And the 17,500 health care workers we represent make us the largest health care union in the province, too.
- That size gives us the strength to represent your needs. The MGEU Defence Fund, for example, is currently at more than $30 million. And that puts our union in a strong position to fight for members like you.
- It also means we have the resources to take our case right to Manitobans. Public campaigns, like our recent TV ad about MGEU health professionals, help to move public opinion — and build the support we need to make change.
- We represent thousands of professionals in health care — and in many other disciplines, including engineers, professors, scientists and child welfare social workers. We understand the role professionals play… the particular demands it puts on you… and the unique issues that arise.
2. Your dues work for you.
The dues you pay are your money — you’re trusting us to use it responsibly, and we take that to heart.
- At 1.25%, MGEU dues are among the lowest in Manitoba. And have been for more than 20 years.
- Members in every Local, big or small, have access to the same powerful resources — for grievances, arbitrations, contract negotiations, and educational opportunities.
- That allows a lot more MGEU members to get involved. We cover expenses from childcare to wage replacement, so you can attend union activities like workshops and Convention.
- And we give the ultimate say to representatives you elect. The Finance Committee and Board of Directors make sure your dues are spent wisely and efficiently.
3. We have the people and know-how, right where you live.
No matter the issue, the experience and expertise you need is just a phone call or email away.
- With eight offices throughout Manitoba, you can be sure there’s an MGEU staff representative near you.
- Have a workplace issue? Need to file a grievance? Our regional reps have the know-how to help.
- Have a pension or benefits question? Concerned about safety? Our in-house specialists have you covered.
- In countless grievance hearings and contract talks, our specialists have developed unmatched expertise in the issues health professionals face – like recruitment and retention, ongoing training, and wage comparisons. That means we can help better than anybody else.
- The MGEU Resource Centre is open five days a week. Call or email them. No matter what your question is, they’ll give you an answer or connect you with someone who can help.
4. We are a member-driven union.
More than any other union, the MGEU reflects our members’ priorities. It’s part of how we work, and every one of our staff and elected members lives and works right here in Manitoba.
- Every single MGEU workplace representative is elected every two years by the members they serve — from Local Presidents to the Union President.
- Your local rep is a coworker of yours. They know what you do, and chances are they can help right away. And for the bigger issues, they can call in other members within your Component and on the Board of Directors.
- Fair, democratic representation is what makes us work so effectively. You choose who leads our union, who helps your fellow members, and who sits across from the employer at the bargaining table.
5. We’re the most open, transparent union in Manitoba.
Wondering what your union is up to? The information you need is at your fingertips.
- Every member gets a copy of their collective agreement and wage scales.
- Our website, mgeu.ca, is packed with information. Go there, and you’ll find the latest news, a full library of every MGEU contract, updates from the bargaining table, upcoming meetings and events, and much more.
- Every month, the President sends an email update, keeping you up to speed on what’s going on in and around our union.
- And every year, you’ll get a copy of our annual report — showing how your dues are working for you.
Learn more about the MGEU.